httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: setenv/unsetenv?
Date Fri, 06 Apr 2001 05:51:25 GMT
On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> Yes, but isn't it counter-intuitive to not have unsetenv do this?  It
> should at the very least be documented that unsetenv doesn't actually
> unset an env variable.

well, setenv doesn't set one either does it?

And unsetting/setting certain variables after httpd is started doesn't
have any impact on the already running process anyway in some situations.

I think the key here is that "env variables" are _NOT_ unix environment
variables.  They are a structurally similar thing that are stored inside
Apache for the use of modules.  It happens that mod_cgi uses them in a
certain way, so does mod_include, etc. that allows them to be passed on to
things that aren't apache modules themselves.  It is only in those cases
that they are actually set in the "real" environment.