httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: setenv/unsetenv?
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2001 16:19:50 GMT
On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> Could someone remind me of the reason for not having the mod_env
> setenv/unsetenv modify the real environment as well as modifying the
> internal table?

Aside from the thread safety issues on threaded platforms, there are
performance issues.  All the ways to set variables should either all not
set them as "real" environment variables or should set them only in the
Apache tables (modulo cases like mod_cgi), since otherways you introduce
even more confusion.  So setting per-request ones with setenv() would be a
major nasty, since many setenv() implemenations are... not known for their
performance friendly nature.