httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject opinions: debian apache package
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2001 08:45:47 GMT
I took a look at the debian so-called "apache" package after having some
people asking me why apache did really odd things that it just doesn't do.

it turns out they have a horribly hacked up package.

a huge number of local changes, many of them adding lots of random
features because someone thought they would be cool.

ZERO attempts to contribute features or EVEN BUGFIXES back to us.

all sorts of wacky backporting of patches so they can continue to
distribute old versions that have some of what they think are the
important patches from more current versions applied.

a wildly hacked up mod_autoindex.

random modules included by default.

if you want to take a look, see
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/web/apache-common.html
http://packages.debian.org/stable/web/apache-common.html

download the .diff file, which is a patch.  apply it to an empty tree and
you will get the mess of stuff they are doing.

and all the time they are telling users this is apache without making it
clear that they did a huge number of local hacks.

Am I the only one who is appalled by this sort of package?  Does debian
really think the job of a package is for them to take control of adding
features, etc. to the product instead of just packaging what the vendor
provides?

I know we have been through this before with various packagings, but don't
recall debian... and this is way beyond most anything else I've ever seen.