httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: new /usr/local/apache2 usage, --prefix, and make install
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2001 00:04:16 GMT
On Tue, 3 Apr 2001 ed@apache.org wrote:

> Well, perhaps the problem is that the Apache layout has the prefix
> hardcoded, rather than using the specified prefix or some per-layout
> default prefix (this is generally true of all the layouts).  Currently,
> eg. the Apache layout has:
>     prefix:        /usr/local/apache2
>
> You could start by overriding that value with the value passed in on the
> command line if I did the following:
> 	./configure --prefix=/home/ed/apache --layout=Apache

right.

> Currently we don't, though -- and that solution won't work without more
> nuance anyway.  For example -- RedHat, Darwin, and some other layouts
> explicitly specify complete paths other than prefix -- localstatedir,
> execprefix, iconsdir, etc.  How would you handle overrides in that case?
> If a user is doing an install in their home directory, obviously we
> shouldn't expect them to be able to write to /var ...

If the layout is one which does not install all things under a nice
prefix (for some, maybe "prefix: /" would be more appropriate though...),
then the user has to override all the things individually.  That's
just the way it works, and is a limitation of that layout.  No problem.
Not all layouts are designed to be able to live in their own little
subtree like the Apache one.

> I'm sure we can work out a system, but IMO it needs to be discussed long
> enough to work out such issues.  And I don't have all that strong a

Right.  And the big question is just how much we have to fit into
how autoconf does things and how much we sould avoid "the autoconf way".