httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: new /usr/local/apache2 usage, --prefix, and make install
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2001 23:09:12 GMT
On Tue, 3 Apr 2001 ed@apache.org wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 03:05:00PM -0700, Marc Slemko wrote:
> > right, but the thing is that IMHO you should be able to use a layout, and
> > then override parts of it on the command line.
> >
> > that is the way things "should" be, and if they had been that way then
> > this wouldn't break anything.  And IMHO, other things are broken (eg. "use
> > GNU layout but install into /foobar") even without the below change.
> >
> > So I think the task is to figure out how to make layouts and autoconf play
> > more nicely, then that will fix this problem too.  Figuring this out
> > though... I can take a look, but I try to be as un-autoconf-y a person as
> > possible.
>
> I think that prefix should actually be an alternate to a layout.  I can
> see how you might want to override part of a layout with --bindir or
> --sbindir or ... -- but prefix says to use the standard names as subdirs
> and base them off the given directory afaict.

Mmm.  Not really.

autoconf has a set of (GNUish) directories that you can set such as
prefix, exec-prefix, bindir, sbindir, libexecdir, datadir, etc.  Most of
them default to being based off prefix or eprefix, by convention.

Then we add some more apache-specific ones such as htdocsdir that we need.

Right now, the only things that can be set on the configure command line
are the autoconf ones, and then only if you aren't using a layout.  So,
for example, the only way to set a non-default htdocsdir is to use a
layout.  That is wrong.

We need to have autoconf options for each of the directory/file
settings.  If a layout is specified, they get their defaults from that
layout, and are then overridden but the command line options.  I don't
know if we can easily do that, or do that and still have configure's help
message spit out the right info on "defaults".

> If you wanted to allow both prefix and layout, I think the think to do
> would be to prefix all paths in the layout with whatever was given in
> --prefix.

It isn't about prefix vs. layout.  Prefix is just one of the dozen things
that can be specified in a layout.

> Anyway -- I'd guess that the thing to do in the short term is to revert
> so that if layout isn't specified, Apache isn't used as the default.  I
> think the code probably does need reorganization, but it's sort of
> broken right now (unless you're root when you install) ...

Yea.  I guess I'll do that.  It is somewhat half-assed, but better half an
ass than (a full)|(no) ass.