httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: new /usr/local/apache2 usage, --prefix, and make install
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2001 22:05:00 GMT
On 3 Apr 2001, Jeff Trawick wrote:

> Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com> writes:
>
> > On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> >
> > > On Solaris and Tru64 (and maybe more), my --prefix is getting ignored
> > > and instead make install is trying to put stuff in /usr/local/apache2
> > > :(
> > >
> > > looking at it now...
> >
> > ick.  yea.  sorry about that.
> >
> > Hmm.  It is a bit of a mess trying to figure out how autoconf's
> > installation prefixes and stuff like config.layout should play together
> > nicely.  Note that I'm pretty sure they didn't work "right" before either,
> > it just wasn't wrong in such a visible way...
>
> I guess this is what broke it:

right, but the thing is that IMHO you should be able to use a layout, and
then override parts of it on the command line.

that is the way things "should" be, and if they had been that way then
this wouldn't break anything.  And IMHO, other things are broken (eg. "use
GNU layout but install into /foobar") even without the below change.

So I think the task is to figure out how to make layouts and autoconf play
more nicely, then that will fix this problem too.  Figuring this out
though... I can take a look, but I try to be as un-autoconf-y a person as
possible.