httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeffrey A. Stuart" <jstuart-apa...@neo.rr.com>
Subject RE: Apache 2.0 for multi protocol usage
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:40:18 GMT
NO NO NO NO NO!  Please do NOT HOLD up Apache 2.0 for multi-protocol!!!  WE
HAVE to have an apache 2.0 out SOON!!!!  I'm sorry, I feel very strongly about
this... :)  While the idea of one server handling multiple protocols is an
interesting one (IIS has been able to handle HTTP and FTP for a long time
now), I'm not sure if this is really something that we want.  IE if there's a
security bug in part of the core apache, boom suddenly not only our web server
but our FTP server are compromised... that's bad IMNSHO.

--
Jeff Stuart
jstuart@neo.rr.com

-----Original Message-----
From: harrie@lisanza.net [mailto:harrie@lisanza.net]On Behalf Of Harrie
Hazewinkel
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2001 5:09 AM
To: new-httpd@apache.org
Subject: Re: Apache 2.0 for multi protocol usage

Various people have indeed various opinions. More then a year ago
Apache 2.0 already provided good capabilities for scaling. IMHO,
they should have released that already as a seperate version.
Even if it did not have so much other functionality over 1.3, like
filtering. It had enough good things and it would have showed
progress to the world. I believe since it already took so long,
people are willing to wait for the good and extra features
(if I may call the multiprotocol proposal a good feature).

harrie
phone: +39-3474932300
http://www.lisanza.net/