httpd-dev mailing list archives

From TOKI...@aol.com
Subject Re: mod_gzip for v2.0
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2001 20:10:43 GMT

> PHP has the equivalent of mod_gzip built in, so at least if mod_php is
>  last in the filter chain there is no need for mod_gzip.
>
>  -Rasmus

Yes... there is.

See the mod_gzip forum.
It's filled with people who have tried to use that aspect of PHP
and it simply doesn't work.

It has no 'smarts' whatsoever and more often than not you have
to edit ALL of your scripts to have any chance of it working
correctly. Same is true for the Java back ends, for the most part.

I am not a PHP user myself. I don't know what the issues are.
I only know that PHP users but the hundreds are simply reporting
that it doesn't work for them and they are not willing to start
rewriting scripts to make it work.

Yours...
Kevin Kiley