httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul J. Reder" <rede...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: thread locking within apr file io
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2001 21:56:10 GMT
Greg Ames wrote:
> Paul, since you have quite a few monster files mixed in with the little
> stuff, please tune the threaded parameters judiciously.  We don't have
> any automatic protection yet for low MaxRequestsPerChild combined with
> high ThreadsPerChild combined with small scoreboards combined with long
> & short downloads.  Don't assume the threaded parms in the config you
> got from me and/or apache.org make any sense at all - apache.org has
> only run prefork in production (FreeBSD).
>
> That said, I guess the threaded mpm really isn't ready for prime time,
> unless:
> * you are prepared to tune it (we can help), or
> * you know that your download times are all pretty uniform.

Yeah, I figured out early on that the existing values were bogus. I have
already done some tuning, but am always open to suggestions. I can forstall
problems, but not eliminate them. But after my original patch it no longer
dies or hangs, just slows down periodically.

--
Paul J. Reder
-- Albert Einstein