httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@remulak.net>
Subject Re: thread locking within apr file io
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2001 21:15:53 GMT
"Paul J. Reder" wrote:

> Greg Ames wrote:
> >          It would be great if somebody could beat it up on a live
> > non-FreeBSD system, and tell us what happens.
>
> I'll run it through my battery of abuse tests tonight. If it survives the carnage
> then we'll be in good shape.

Paul, since you have quite a few monster files mixed in with the little
stuff, please tune the threaded parameters judiciously.  We don't have
any automatic protection yet for low MaxRequestsPerChild combined with
high ThreadsPerChild combined with small scoreboards combined with long
& short downloads.  Don't assume the threaded parms in the config you
got from me and/or apache.org make any sense at all - apache.org has
only run prefork in production (FreeBSD).

That said, I guess the threaded mpm really isn't ready for prime time,
unless:
* you are prepared to tune it (we can help), or
* you know that your download times are all pretty uniform.

Greg