httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: mod_proxy in HTTPd
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2001 10:43:04 GMT
Chris Pepper wrote:

>         The problem here is that that doesn't scale. If we have 3
> almost-core modules, users get apache, apache+a, apache+b, or
> apache+c -- the combo builds are useless if you want two or three
> add-ons. I will probably just want SSL, but it doesn't seem wise to
> assume that people will only want one such add-on.

This isn't how I orginally suggested it.

There is only one release of Apache, ever.

This Apache release is made up of the most recent stable releases of
httpd-core, APR, APR-util, mod_proxy, mod_tls, mod_rewrite, etc.

The maintainers of each of the above modules is responsible for making
sure the latest stable release of their individual module is available
in a central place so that the RM can roll Apache without going insane.

The users "out there" always download apache-2.x.x.tar.gz just as they
always have done, and they get all the goodies in one bundle. There is
no such thing as apache+a, or apache+b, only ever apache+everything.

>         Sure, but let's remember that without much more coordination
> from module maintainers than from the core Apache team, core-plus
> builds are very limited in audience.

Exactly, which is why they are a bad idea - too much extra work.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street