httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul J. Reder" <rede...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Suggested direction for fixing threaded mpm thread startup.
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2001 13:41:10 GMT
rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> I am 100% on board with splitting the scoreboard.  I disagree with putting
> bounds on the number of processes allowed in restart however.  I don't see
> how it is possible to get around the problem outlined above.  I haven't
> really thought it through though, so I could easily be missing something.

I have to agree with Ryan on this. I don't think there is any really good
reason to slow down the departure of processes/threads if we have a good
method of adding new ones back into the soup. The problem right now is that
departing processes/threads act as a barrier to replacements. If we split
the scoreboard and change the replacement algorithm then the problem is solved.

I think one of the things that will go a long way to helping this is to allow
the new threads to be stuck anywhere in the scoreboard instead of contiguously.
This allows a new process (w/threads) to be started as soon as threads_per_child
number of threads have exited (regardless of whether those threads came from
one process or several dozen).

--
Paul J. Reder
-- Albert Einstein