httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@remulak.net>
Subject Re: Suggested direction for fixing threaded mpm thread startup.
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2001 04:55:22 GMT
rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> > > Um...  This is an incredibly dangerous change.  This makes Apache shutdown
> > > one threaded process at a time.  I think we have all downloaded tarballs
> > > that are hundreds of megs, which can take a few hours to download.  What
> > > happens if while my server is serving one of those files, I need to do a
> > > graceful restart to re-config my server.  If the first process shutdown is
> > > the one with the thread serving a three hour request, then my server won't
> > > actually restart for 3 hours.
> > >

> > It doesn't affect any operator initiated shutdown/restart commands, only
> > internal algorithmically generated things like
> > perform_idle_server_maintenance and MaxRequestsPerChild.
>
> Then it doesn't solve the problem that Paul was talking about.

AFAIK, the specific problem that Paul had when he started this thread
was triggered entirely by MaxRequestsPerChild.

We have another bug outstanding, which I believe Paul is working on,
where operator initiated commands don't work, probably due to some
signalling snafu.

>                                                                        In
> general, I don't understand why this change is necessary.  If we solve the
> problem of operator initiated shutdown/restart, then any problem with
> perform_idle_server_maintenance and MaxRequestsPerChild should fall out in
> the wash.

uhhh, no.  Read some of the posts in this thread more carefully, please.

Goodnite.

Greg