httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@remulak.net>
Subject Re: Suggested direction for fixing threaded mpm thread startup.
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2001 04:25:11 GMT
rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> > > True (IMHO).

> > > Show us some code :-)
> > >

> > OK, it's committed...works swell for me.  Paul?
>
> Um...  This is an incredibly dangerous change.  This makes Apache shutdown
> one threaded process at a time.  I think we have all downloaded tarballs
> that are hundreds of megs, which can take a few hours to download.  What
> happens if while my server is serving one of those files, I need to do a
> graceful restart to re-config my server.  If the first process shutdown is
> the one with the thread serving a three hour request, then my server won't
> actually restart for 3 hours.

It doesn't affect any operator initiated shutdown/restart commands, only
internal algorithmically generated things like
perform_idle_server_maintenance and MaxRequestsPerChild.

That said, there's something wrong with it.  Processes with no worker
threads were hanging
around forever, like before the fix to do the joins.  So I just disabled
it.

Greg