httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: mod_proxy in HTTPd
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2001 22:50:44 GMT
"William A. Rowe, Jr." wrote:

> In a rollup???  Absolutely!  The tricky bit will be identifing the last
> 'stable' release of the apache child projects, overtagging that tag with the
> apache release version, and letting it fly.  I just don't see a simple
> mechanism (for the RM) to do this all in a free hour :-(

There is no way for the RM to be able to determine which bits of which
modules are stable or not - therefore it should not have to be up to
them to do this, but rather the module maintainers.

The maintainers of each of the modules should be responsible for keeping
a stable version of their module in the rollup tree. If the maintainers
screw up and commit a broken module and this is uncovered in release
testing, then the maintainers must fix it immediately, or the RM rolls
back the changes to the last known working release.

If a module remains consistently broken or unmaintained, the RM has can
put to vote the removal of the offending module until it is fixed...

This way:

- Broken modules do not hold up the tree
- The RM can roll a release without going bald
- Users see a single unified apache release
- Apache's feature set remains consistent

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street