httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: [VOTE] mod_proxy in?
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2001 18:55:49 GMT
"William A. Rowe, Jr." wrote:

> A sub-project aught to be able to release as it is ready.  If proxy is ready for a
> 'release' today, then roll one for 2_0_16 (our last beta) and let folks bring it up
> to date.  2_0_17 is now broken for some platforms shutdown, so they will be waiting
> a while longer to play with proxy.  This is the wrongheadedness of rolling in the
> entire, complex kitchen sink into httpd-2.0.

This does make sense - people can then get the latest bits of everything
even though some bit might be broken for the platform being used.

But what about people who just want to download a tarball or an RPM and
install it and get it done with? Currently they have to download three
separate packages and do some unpack here and there magic before
building the thing. Split off proxy, rewrite, etc etc and it soon
becomes a nightmare. Then each distribution installs its own combination
of modules and packages and things will soon get out of hand.

Perhaps a compromise would be to break up the Apache code into sections.
The Apache core, APR, APR-Util, generic modules, proxy, cache, TLS, etc
etc. These can then be developed and built separately. But when an
"official" release is sent out, it gets rolled and tagged as a single
source tree.

As a result, an Apache release becomes a single "blessed" set of
subprojects, in an easy to install package.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon