httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul J. Reder" <rede...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Need access to apr_sigwait from threaded mpm.
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2001 19:15:49 GMT
Ryan,

rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> We had the join logic in the code for a while, and we removed it at some
> point, although I can't remember why.  Please take a look in the CVS logs.
> I am a bit busy today, becuase Covalent is moving offices (need more
> space), so I am having a hard time actually doing work right now.  The
> easiest way to do this in my mind, though, is to have each thread
> decrement a counter as it dies.  The core knows how many threads it has,
> so we know when they have all died.

This is what the code currently does. worker_thread increments/decrements
the worker_thread_count variable inside a mutex. The problem seems to be
the window at the end of the worker_thread after is has decremented and
released the mutex and before it exits. I am seeing cases where the child_main
process thinks that worker_thread_count == 0, but threads haven't exited
yet. If child_main exits, then threads are orphaned. That is the reason
that some after-thread-exit processing (like a join) needs to happen.

I will look through cvs for the deleted join logic. Was it in the signal.c,
the mpms, or somewhere else (you can say you don't remember - just thought
I'd ask to save time).

Thanks.

--
Paul J. Reder