httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/filters mod_include.h
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2001 14:30:01 GMT
On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 08:10:27PM -0400, Cliff Woolley wrote:
> Anyway, I've changed my mind.  I didn't realize that the error message was
> configurable within the document itself (nice :-).  The fact that it is
> means that the error_str gets copied into the include_filter_ctx structure
> (which is allocated from f->c->pool) when the context is created and
> overwritten if the document specifies its own error message.  But it's one
> spot in memory that's the one used in all cases.  That means that we could
> using a pool bucket (not an immortal bucket), but that would only gain us
> anything if we create a *single* pool bucket and used apr_bucket_copy().
> Not worth the complexity, I think.  So I guess it's fine the way it is.

If the data is in a pool, then a pool bucket should be used (not an immortal
bucket). Sure, the data has (effectively) an immortal lifetime as far as the
request goes, but that path leads to nightmare.

Immortal buckets should only be for static/const data. Use pool buckets for
pool data.

Cheers,
-g

--