httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <>
Subject Re: Web archival of mailing lists
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2001 04:24:27 GMT
On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 03:17:55PM -0700, Ask Bjoern Hansen wrote:
> [...]
> > well, if mod_mbox actually generated an xml format of some kind,
> What he said. The core of mod_mbox should do that
> With Apache 2.0 filters it will then be fairly easy to make it look
> like whatever we want and add whatever features. :)

A filter to convert from the mod_mbox core data structures into XML should
be fairly straightforward.  But, I don't have any plans to write one.
I have yet to be satisified with the scalability of the XSLTs.

> In any case, it looks great. I'm definitely planning to use it for
> the archives. (They use Mhonarc right now and it sucks).

Please let me know if you use it.  You don't have to email me, but I'd
appreciate any feedback.  =)  I wouldn't dump Mhonarc quite yet though.

Roy and I combed through the SDBM code and found some locking problems
which caused the scalability to suffer tremendously - only one request
can open a particular SDBM at a time.  I am not exactly sure what the
exact problem is - our current guess is fcntl-based implementations.
(Hey, Roy just posted about it...)

Expect a patch to APR in the next few days that resolves this.  There
are probably more scalability problems hiding in APR...

(I have a midterm tomorrow at 8AM - I need to go study...) -- justin

View raw message