httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject SSL stuff (was: Re: [martin: Cron <martin@deejai2> CRONJOBS/httpd-2.0-build])
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2001 17:03:38 GMT
On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 08:34:37AM -0700, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Martin Kraemer wrote:
>..
> > If there is no one who actually cares for the mod_tls baby, I propose to
> > delete it entirely and replace it by a REAL solution, based on Ralf's
> > mod_ssl. The current "implemetation" of mod_tls is a a PITA, nothing
> > more than an (abandoned) proof-of-concept IMHO.  As it stands, no ISP
> > would even consider to switch to httpd-2.0+mod_tls from apache_1.3.x+mod_ssl.
> >
> > Sorry to be so honest about it, Ben, but that's how I see it.
>
> I honestly believe that mod_tls is a better solution than the 1.3 version
> of mod_ssl.

I can't say that one is better than the other, but I care for it and don't
want to see it go. It is the beginning of what I think is the right approach
for us (in terms of how it deals with the filters).

> I agree that this module has been abandoned, but I would

I disagree that it is "abandoned." We all have time here and there to work
on things. That means some work time, and some idle time. Who says that
nobody is working on it? Who says that nobody is ready to step up to the
plate and work on it? It is premature to call it abandoned.

> I agree that mod_tls isn't an advanced module, but it is a way to remove
> some of the politics from the SSL modules in Apache.

Bingo. We've got two camps that disagree at a basic level. Fine, they can
continue with their rock throwing, and the core Apache will do its own
thing independently. The SSL situation will then just disappear since Apache
will simply come with a solution.

Cheers,
-g

--