httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject proxy maintenance (was: Re: [VOTE] mod_proxy in?)
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2001 21:49:27 GMT
On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 11:36:12AM -0700, Ian Holsman wrote:
> my only concen with splitting the proxy out is that
> no one will actively maintain it, and keep it up to date
> with the current http releases.

This is the reason that is was split off in the first place. Just being in
the httpd repository does not suddenly make it maintained. Far from it. In
fact, it was lagging so poorly, that for months at a time, the only changes
were to keep it compiling. *compiling* ... not necessarily *working*.

In fact, jettisoning it from httpd is (IMO) the only reason that we've seen
*any* activity on it the past couple months.

> saying that i'm quite happy to volunteer myself to do this function,
> but i'm not an ASF member, or even have commit access for that matter.

Sign up on the mod proxy development list. You can maintain it by posting
your patches. If the patches are good quality, and your contribution seems
to be relatively consistent, then you can get commit access.

Part of the reason that proxy wasn't getting maintained is that the httpd
folks have a different bar for commit access. Commit access was for *all* of
the web server, not just mod_proxy. By splitting it out, then the mod_proxy
developers can be an entirely different/disjoint set of people from httpd.
That has allowed people like Graham Leggett to join in on the proxy dev,
where we were initially not comfortable with providing him access to all of
the web server.

You can work exactly the same way. Commit access is (typically) dependent
entirely on technical merit and longevity.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/