httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/http http_protocol.c
Date Mon, 16 Apr 2001 23:12:27 GMT
On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 09:16:53PM -0000, rbb@apache.org wrote:
> rbb         01/04/16 14:16:53
>
>   Modified:    .        CHANGES
>                modules/http http_protocol.c
>   Log:
>   If a higher-level filter handles the the byterange aspects of a
>   request, then the byterange filter should not try to redo the
>   work.  The most common case of this happening, is a byterange
>   request going through the proxy, and the origin server handles
>   the byterange request.  The proxy should ignore it.

Actually, I just realized the mod_dav may also want to generate byteranges
(as it does today), rather than let the byterange filter do it.

"Why?" you may ask :-)

Consider the case where mod_dav fetches the content out of a database. We
don't want to fetch a full gigabyte, only to then have the byterange filter
trim out 10 bytes and send them to the client.

That said: with some redesign of the mod_dav backend APIs, I can create a
custom bucket that represents a mod_dav resource. Based on the byterange
filter's splits, copies, etc, followed by the final read, I should be able
to completely avoid reading in the whole gigabyte, yet still defer to the
byterange filter for processing.

(this would also handle the case of fetching a PHP script from a database,
processing it through the PHP filter, *then* yanking 10 bytes from the PHP
output)

Cheers,
-g

--