httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Winstead <j...@trainedmonkey.com>
Subject Re: Let's remove some modules from Apache 2.0
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2001 19:29:57 GMT
On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 03:06:50PM -0400, Bill Stoddard wrote:
> The module would not go away. It will just live somewhere else. Let the folks
> who are interested in it maintain it. Given a bit of time, I am sure I could
> contrive dozens o silly modules that try to 'do what I mean not what I asked',
> which is this modules purpose in life.

it sounds like it really fails the 'is actively maintained' test.
i think whether the module is useful or not is disputable, but
the lack of a maintainer doesn't appear to be. :)

i don't mean to stir up a hornet's nest with this, but something
i realized recently is that the balance of people contributing to
apache httpd development and maintenance has shifted over time from
people who actively run websites to people who develop software. i
think it has caused some interesting changes in what people consider
important. (i'm not trying to pass any judgement on those changes,
although just by bringing it up, i suspect i have.)

jim