httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Winstead <j...@trainedmonkey.com>
Subject Re: mod_tls support
Date Mon, 09 Apr 2001 21:56:42 GMT
On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 02:44:50PM -0700, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > So the question here is what should withval be set to or how should it be
> > used. When I change the $withval/openssl/ssl.h to
> > /usr/include/openssl/ssl.h then everything works and it reports:
> >
> > checking for SSL library... checking whether to enable mod_tls... yes
> > found OpenSSL
> >
> > Anyone?
>
> You should be using --with-ssl=/path/to/openssl.  This argument is used to
> find your SSL header files.  If you do not provide a path, we can not find
> them.

the modules/tls/config.m4 logic here strikes me as quite bogus. what
is the path being supplied? it peers into a number of subdirectories
to find the header files, but assumes the libraries are in the
supplied directory.

it should also either try to guess the path or bail when just
--with-ssl is used. the current behavior (using 'yes' as the path)
is more than a little confusing.

i'm not familiar enough with how openssl is installed (by default
or by various distributions) to know what the right thing to do is,
but on a debian system, the libraries are in /usr/lib and the
headers in /usr/include/openssl. if a read the current config.m4
right, i would supply --with-ssl=/usr/include, and a -L/usr/include
would get added to the link flags. that's obviously wrong.

jim