httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Winstead <j...@trainedmonkey.com>
Subject Re: Let's remove some modules from Apache 2.0
Date Mon, 09 Apr 2001 18:21:35 GMT
On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 11:01:20AM -0700, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Bill Stoddard wrote:
>
> > It's not replaced.  My personal opinion is that this is a silly module to be
> > part of the core server distribution.  It is currently broken on Windows and
> > no one maintains it AFAIK. I would like to see it moved out of the core server
> > and placed in modules.apache.org.
>
> Mod_speling was created by Alexei and Martin in 1997.  It has been a part
> of the distribution since then.  It looks like the last time a major
> change was made in in the 1.3 tree was Feb 16, 2000.  I don't know if that
> is because there is no work to do, or if it is because nobody is
> maintaining it.

there is a patch i submitted (for 1.3 and 2.0) that added a directive
to turn off the alternatives support.

> What concerns me, is that there are constantly people asking for URLs to
> be case-insensitive.  This module allows for that ability.

we used this module at homepage.com (a free webspace hosting thing,
now gone), because an average user just doesn't care about things
like case-sensitivity.

i think it is a useful little module. it would be nice if nobody
ever made a typo or a broken link, but i think it is nice when a
computer can compensate for the reality of us fallible humans.

jim