httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0 for multi protocol usage
Date Sat, 07 Apr 2001 15:33:58 GMT
Um... let's not forget that you haven't posted the patch(es) to new-httpd
yet (i.e. most of us haven't seen them). It should not be committed until
that happens. I think there are a number of concerns that people have (Roy,
myself) with the proposed design.

For myself, I find the state_rec to be superfluous, and the overall intent
feels like forcing some kind of commonality between protocols rather than
providing a structure for multi-protocol (and then building on that). If
pieces of protocols can be shared, then share the functionality, but don't
put them into request_rec simply because two protocols happen to use them.

Ideally, request_rec would contain only a few items. Things like a pool, the
connection it is associated with, and a void* for the protocol-private

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 10:46:18AM -0700, Harrie Hazewinkel wrote:
> Bill Stoddard wrote:
> > Harrie,
> > I am -0 on committing this code as-is but +1 on the concept.
> Cool that you like the concept.
> > I spent some time
> > looking at the code and in general it looks okay, but there is too much to
> > review and do a good job of it.
> >
> > I recommend you break this patch into a minimum of three seperate patches. Do
> > a patch that just does the code moves from protocol.c to http_protocol.c (no
> > function change and no new code other than what is required to accomodate the
> > move), another patch that introduces the http_request_rec and http_conn_rec,
> > then another patch the introduces the state_rec. Make sense?
> Makes sense. It is a huge patch and understand that breaking it up in
> pieces would make acceptance easier. A problem could be that it is
> almost an atomic step.
> Harrie

Greg Stein,

View raw message