httpd-dev mailing list archives

From e.@apache.org
Subject Re: new /usr/local/apache2 usage, --prefix, and make install
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2001 23:47:00 GMT
On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 04:09:12PM -0700, Marc Slemko wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Apr 2001 ed@apache.org wrote:
> > I think that prefix should actually be an alternate to a layout.  I can
> > see how you might want to override part of a layout with --bindir or
> > --sbindir or ... -- but prefix says to use the standard names as subdirs
> > and base them off the given directory afaict.
>
> Mmm.  Not really.
>
> autoconf has a set of (GNUish) directories that you can set such as
> prefix, exec-prefix, bindir, sbindir, libexecdir, datadir, etc.  Most of
> them default to being based off prefix or eprefix, by convention.

Well, perhaps the problem is that the Apache layout has the prefix
hardcoded, rather than using the specified prefix or some per-layout
default prefix (this is generally true of all the layouts).  Currently,
eg. the Apache layout has:
    prefix:        /usr/local/apache2

You could start by overriding that value with the value passed in on the
command line if I did the following:
	./configure --prefix=/home/ed/apache --layout=Apache

Currently we don't, though -- and that solution won't work without more
nuance anyway.  For example -- RedHat, Darwin, and some other layouts
explicitly specify complete paths other than prefix -- localstatedir,
execprefix, iconsdir, etc.  How would you handle overrides in that case?
If a user is doing an install in their home directory, obviously we
shouldn't expect them to be able to write to /var ...

I'm sure we can work out a system, but IMO it needs to be discussed long
enough to work out such issues.  And I don't have all that strong a
preference as to how it should work, so long as I can use it as an
ordinary user (without editing config.layout) and the docs match the
behavior.

FYI, right now --sysconfdir and --libexecdir had no effect either before
or after.  The following directories don't appear to be configurable
(perhaps they should be?) : htdocsdir, iconsdir, cgidir, and logdir.
It'd be nice to fix those things while we're changing how configure
works ...

> We need to have autoconf options for each of the directory/file
> settings.  If a layout is specified, they get their defaults from that
> layout, and are then overridden but the command line options.  I don't
> know if we can easily do that, or do that and still have configure's help
> message spit out the right info on "defaults".

I'm pretty sure we can do that.  I'm willing to work on it, I just want
to be clear on how the options should interact with each other.

cheers --

Ed