httpd-dev mailing list archives

From e.@apache.org
Subject Re: new /usr/local/apache2 usage, --prefix, and make install
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2001 22:48:54 GMT
On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 03:05:00PM -0700, Marc Slemko wrote:
> right, but the thing is that IMHO you should be able to use a layout, and
> then override parts of it on the command line.
>
> that is the way things "should" be, and if they had been that way then
> this wouldn't break anything.  And IMHO, other things are broken (eg. "use
> GNU layout but install into /foobar") even without the below change.
>
> So I think the task is to figure out how to make layouts and autoconf play
> more nicely, then that will fix this problem too.  Figuring this out
> though... I can take a look, but I try to be as un-autoconf-y a person as
> possible.

I think that prefix should actually be an alternate to a layout.  I can
see how you might want to override part of a layout with --bindir or
--sbindir or ... -- but prefix says to use the standard names as subdirs
and base them off the given directory afaict.

If you wanted to allow both prefix and layout, I think the think to do
would be to prefix all paths in the layout with whatever was given in
--prefix.

Anyway -- I'd guess that the thing to do in the short term is to revert
so that if layout isn't specified, Apache isn't used as the default.  I
think the code probably does need reorganization, but it's sort of
broken right now (unless you're root when you install) ...

Btw -- I am willing to work on the autoconf stuff.  It's kind of
annoying to debug 'cause the debug cycles take a while, but other than
that it's not too bad ...

cheers --

Ed