httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <ad...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0 for multi protocol usage
Date Mon, 09 Apr 2001 20:58:44 GMT
From: <rbb@covalent.net>
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2001 2:40 PM

> > > Punting the state_rec means that the only protocol that is optimized is
> > > HTTP.  We can continue to optimize HTTP by having the request_rec have two
> > > pointers, one to the state and one to the connection_rec.  That solves
> > > this problem.
> >
> > I'm fine with the per-protocol request record referring to an auth_rec. No
> > problem there. But building another layer into the core server doesn't sit
> > well at all.
>
> Why not?  How many protocols will use the state_rec?  How many won't?

This is why I'm suggesting that a sub-connection rec _could_ solve the problem for
stateful models.  Just like a sub-request, it's created when needed, ignored when
it's not.  In any case, FTP might not need one, if auth was dropped into the
identity chain I suggested just a minute ago.  A module would grab the most relevent
connection_rec (last sub-connection added to the chain) in most cases.  When the
part of the stateful session that created the sub-connection finished, it would
close that sub-connection, leaving the connection flying.

Bill