httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: Let's remove some modules from Apache 2.0
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2001 19:48:26 GMT

> On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 03:06:50PM -0400, Bill Stoddard wrote:
> > The module would not go away. It will just live somewhere else. Let the folks
> > who are interested in it maintain it. Given a bit of time, I am sure I could
> > contrive dozens o silly modules that try to 'do what I mean not what I asked',
> > which is this modules purpose in life.
>
> it sounds like it really fails the 'is actively maintained' test.
> i think whether the module is useful or not is disputable, but
> the lack of a maintainer doesn't appear to be. :)
>
> i don't mean to stir up a hornet's nest with this, but something
> i realized recently is that the balance of people contributing to
> apache httpd development and maintenance has shifted over time from
> people who actively run websites to people who develop software. i
> think it has caused some interesting changes in what people consider
> important. (i'm not trying to pass any judgement on those changes,
> although just by bringing it up, i suspect i have.)
>
> jim

This is an excellent and totally accurate point IMO. I don't maintain websites so what I think
of as
important may be way off base.  Feel free to slap me into line :-) I also tend to have a bias
toward
corporate user's (internal and B2B, etc.).  I'll leave the module (mod_speling) in based on
the
feedback I have heard.

Bill