httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server protocol.c
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2001 12:35:17 GMT

> Roy,
>
> fielding@ebuilt.com wrote:
> >
> > >   Move the keepalives field out of the conn_rec and into an HTTP specific
> > >   connection record.  This also moves some HTTP specific back out of the
> > >   core and into the HTTP module.
> >
> > -1.  First, as I said at the hackathon, these variables are not specific
> > to HTTP.  They record and control limitations on the number of requests
> > per connection.  You can change their names, if you want, but they must
> > be in the connection record for all protocols.
>
> OK, I was not at the HACKATON, but 'keepalive' is an HTTP
> specific protocol mechanism. If not, please refer me to some
> protocol that uses it?? :-))

The protocol Lotus Notes uses is keepalive (yea, it is a proprietary protocol and may not
count in
this discussion).  Doesn't BXXP (is that what it is called now?) maintain persistent connections?
know of more obscure proprietary protocols that flow multiple requests/response pairs over
persistent connection.

Bill