httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "David Reid" <>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0 for multi protocol usage
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2001 21:00:19 GMT
I'm not sure if it's just me, but it seems like we're talking in circles
about one particular solution that is being pushed at us.  Given that only a
small number of people have been involved in the discussions, should there
be a more "generic" set of conversations about what we want to achieve with

For instance, what does "multi-protocol" really mean?  There has been some
discussion about authentication, state maintenance and various specific
protocols.  Question is what are we trying to achieve?

There are some very useful concepts that I'd like to see apache 2 support.
A good authentication model would be useful, but I'm not overly convinced
that I'd like to see it being tagged on as part of multi-protocol work.  I'm
inclined to say that it should be a core apache "thing" and if we get it
right (as OtherBill said) then all protocols can just use it.

Given the magnitude of the changes required, the fact that there hasn't been
much open discussion of the issues and their solutions and that 95% of our
users really want a server that serves http/https, I'm inclined to say that
this work should be punted until 2.1.

Ryan keeps saying he wants a quick beta and a real release of Apache 2 as
soon as we're ready, so is adding all this semi-hashed out, complex code
really going to achieve that????

If we all pull in the same direction for a few months we might actually move

View raw message