httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "David Reid" <dr...@jetnet.co.uk>
Subject Re: [VOTE] mod_proxy in?
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2001 19:50:27 GMT
> > Isn't that what we're already doing with APR and APR-Util?  They are
> > standalone projects but when you get a tarball of apache it has them
> > included.  Wouldn't this be a useful idea for proxy and rewrite as well?
OB
> > and I are on the same page about this just using different words :)
>
> Both APR and APR-util can stand alone and have application outside of
> Apache, while mod_proxy does not (it makes no sense without Apache).
>
> Maintaining a separate tree requires extra work. If the functionality
> was constantly evolving, it would make sense to keep development impact
> separate, but mod_proxy implements primarily a HTTP/1.1 gateway, defined
> in a specification that has been static for quite a while and is not
> expected to be overhauled in a major way soon. As a result, once
> finished I expect mod_proxy to remain largely unchanged from a
> functional point of view. I don't think the extra work is worth all the
> hassle involved.

One good reason is if you have different pools of developers/interested
parties.  Not sure if it applies to your situation or not.  Also, someone
may want to take the proxy further in the future...  Anyway, looks like
we've actually talked through the options in a short time in a nice polite
manner (is that a first???)

david