httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "David Reid" <>
Subject Re: mod_include performance numbers
Date Sat, 21 Apr 2001 11:24:12 GMT
> I'd like to amen that... I'm starting to see something here that's
> me.  I think that some of the developers have lost touch with what we as
> admins need.  We need a server that does following (in order I think.)
> all of this of course is IMHO):
> 1) A stable server

We're getting there on this one...

> 2) One that isn't too memory intensive out of the box.
> 3) One that is fast.

Hmm, we need to do more work on this.

> 4) One that lets us use SSI.  (LOTS AND LOTS of sites use SSI...)
> 5) One that lets us tune our heavy/light weight servers better.  (One of
> things that I've been waiting for is Apache 2.0 and mod_perl 2.0.  With
> Apache's threaded MPM, this LOOKS like we can really tune apache such that
> mod_perl procs won't be SOO big...  And with some of the stuff that was
> about with mod_perl 2.0, it looks like we'll really be able to cut some
> of the memory out.)

Threaded MPM's may help...

> 6) One that all it basically does is serve web pages.  I do NOT need
> email server, another proxy server, another FTP server, another you name
> ;)

Yeah, I know, I know.

> First, the part about making apache a multi-proto server while nice, I am
> concerned that it's gonna be holding up Apache 2.0.  Apache 2.0 is VERY
> late now... A number of my co-workers are switching to other servers
> apache just can't handle the load any more. :(  With 2.0, I THINK that it
> could but it's not out, so we can't find out.  (And if ANYONE suggests
that we
> put the current apache 2.0 out onto a production server, they ought to be
> shot. :))

There are a number of us who feel like this, but there are a number of
people who also have a counter view point.  It's a shame, but there it is.

> So please, let's get 2.0 stable and out the door...

Nice to have some more view points.  Anyone else care to drop a dime?

View raw message