httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <ad...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: thread locking within apr file io
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2001 19:18:14 GMT
From: "Justin Erenkrantz" <jerenkrantz@ebuilt.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2001 1:57 PM

> > Wow, which MPM are you using? That is actually quite a suprise to me as Apache 2.0
performance is
> > close to that of Apache 1.3 (on AIX at least) which does not use pool  locking or
buffer locking for
> > file i/o.
>
> We are currently using prefork because pthread is completely useless at
> this point.  Hopefully, the signals stuff gets fixed soon...  Actually,
> on FreeBSD, threaded MPMs are disabled, but no one tells APR, so it
> defines APR_HAS_THREADS - we need to fix that.  I may submit a patch for
> that - just add --disable-threads to APRs configure for these platforms?

Hmmm... notice that APR_HAS_THREADS is irrelevant to the MPM selected... you
_can_ using threading support in APR with a prefork MPM, and there may be
modules that need just that configuration someday soon (say, child threads
in a mod_proxy or servlet environment).

So you can't indiscriminantly disable APR threads 'just because', there is
going to need to be a bit more logic.  Contrawise, just because the user
enables APR threads does _not_ mean they are choosing pthreads ;-)

Bill