httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <ad...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Suggested direction for fixing threaded mpm thread startup.
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2001 03:49:17 GMT
From: <rbb@covalent.net>
Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2001 10:34 PM

> FirstBill saiz
> >
> > I agree with you Ryan.  Haven't thought about this much over the weekend, but my
inclination is that
> > a combination of strategies is required. First, split the scoreboard into two, one
for process
> > management and one for status.  The process management scoreboard will be small
enough to enable us
> > to overcommit processes to compensate for multiple processes being restarted at
once. Then as Greg
> > suggests, put some bounds on the number of process that may be in restart.
>
> I am 100% on board with splitting the scoreboard.  I disagree with putting
> bounds on the number of processes allowed in restart however.  I don't see
> how it is possible to get around the problem outlined above.  I haven't
> really thought it through though, so I could easily be missing something.

Given the nature of our headache, what about simply basing each threaded cluster [process]
in it's own scoreboard (that dies when that process and whatever-dozen thread children
go away) and a master 'index' to the scoreboards across processes?

This would have been a damned stupid design with 500 processes (single threaded) but makes
a heck of a lot of sense for 5 processes of 100 children (which grows to 10 processes as
the 5 are spun down and 5 new ones are spinning up.)

Bill