httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: some reasons why Apache 2.0 threaded is slower than prefork
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2001 10:33:08 GMT
Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org> writes:

> I'm talking about pure C code. Of course you can do it with VAX architecture
> bit twiddling, or compare-and-swap, or test-and-set, or atomic increments or
> whatever. But those facilities are not available to "plain old C."

It certainly isn't portable, but it can usually be done from C.  If
scalability is useful to anybody, forget portability on this...  The
only portable notion here is that locks suck.  Sure, we have to
provide a generic version with a lock, and perhaps that will be used
on most platforms.

All I'm asking for is that the list operations have semantics such
that people have the ability to write a lock-free platform-specific
version.

Heck, an interface like stack_init(), stack_push(), and stack_pop() as
well as a customizable version of what the stack header looks like
will work fine.

             Born in Roswell... married an alien...