httpd-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/support dbmmanage log_server_status logresolve.pl phf_abuse_log.cgi split-logfile
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2001 01:31:48 GMT
On Sun, 18 Mar 2001, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> Could you add a better comment where you AP_DECLARE_HOOK?  I am a bit fuzzy
> on what this hook is used for and wonder if "create_request" is the best
> name for it.

Currently, this hook isn't really used, but when we start to really look
at multi-protocol, we are going to need this.  For example, most protocols
are going to glean some information when actually creating a request.
Theya re going to want to set some information at this time.  For example,
HTTP.  We ahve a field, assbackwards, which is set while creating a
request, but it is incredibly HTTP specific.  It is basically whether or
not this is a 0.9 request.  This should move outside of the core
request_rec, and into an HTTP specific structure.  In order to do this, we
will need to be able to affect the request_rec while it is being created.

A lot of this is in a document that a group of Covalent employees are
putitng the finishing touches on before we post it to the list.  This
hook allows a module to affect how a request is created.  I can't think of
a better name than hook_create_request.

I'll add a better comment in the next few days, but I am going to Portland
tonight, and my available time is limited until Wednesday.

Ryan

> Bill
>
> > rbb         01/03/17 18:33:23
> >
> >   Modified:    .        CHANGES
> >                include  http_request.h
> >                modules/http http_request.c
> >                server   core.c protocol.c request.c
> >                support  dbmmanage log_server_status logresolve.pl
> >                         phf_abuse_log.cgi split-logfile
> >   Log:
> >   Add a hook, create_request.  This hook allows modules to modify
> >   a request while it is being created.  This hook is called for all
> >   request_rec's, main request, sub request, and internal redirect.
> >   When this hook is called, the the r->main, r->prev, r->next
> >   pointers have been set, so modules can determine what kind of
> >   request this is.
> >
> >   Currently, this is only used by the core module, but protocol modules
> >   are going to need to have the ability to affect the request while it is
> >   being read.

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131