httpd-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: prefork Vs Threaded -- Updated -- and Other Performance Notes
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2001 18:18:10 GMT

> Some other performance issues that I've noticed:
>   0. It's using read rather than mmap to get the content
>     from the files being delivered.  Is this just a config
>     error?

We use read if the file isn't large enough to make MMAP a good idea.  This
is the same logic that Apache 1.3 used.  How large is the file you are
trying to send?  What platform are you on?  What is APR_HAS_MMAP set to in
srclib/apr/include/apr.h?

>   1. On a request that results in a 304, the httpd does a
>     gratuitous open/close of the requested file after stat'ing it.

That's bad.

>   2. There's also an extra read on the request socket just
>     before the httpd sends the response, and another after
>     the logger runs; both of these fail with EAGAIN.  (I saw
>     this with an HTTP/1.1 client that supports keepalives, so
>     the last failed read was followed by a poll to wait for
>     the next request on the socket.)

Have to look at those.

>   3. The amount of time spent reading/writing socket options
>     after the accept is surprisingly large.  (This time shows
>     up under getsockopt, setsockopt, getsockname, and fstat64
>     in the system call profile.)

David Reid has done some work on this, and I think he plans to commit it
soon-ish.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131