httpd-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server core.c Makefile.in connection.c
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2001 01:59:46 GMT
On Sun, 4 Mar 2001, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> > rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > >
> > > Assuming that you do not, I plan on continuing to work on
> > > this, because it is what I care about right now.
> >
> > Well, it *does* ought to be done..  *shrug* I personally
> > do not have any investment in when we go beta, so AFAIC
> > this should stay in and the beta can just wait until
> > everything is stable and people are comfortable.
> > --
>
> It's in so leave it in. But I think Ken does bring up a valid point.  Jeff
> and I spend a good bit of our development time fixing compile breaks, many
> which are introduced by 'cosmetic' changes to the code or build environment.
> In general, folks have been MUCH less disciplined about what they commit to
> Apache 2.0 than what they commit to 1.3.  It's time for that to change. I
> would request that you (all of us) try to compile our commits against
> multiple OSes as a courtesy to the other active developers.

Not everybody has access to the range of OSes that you have.  I
personally, can not compile against Windows easily.  I can compile against
multiple versions of Unix, but not easily.  This also seems to go against
the whole idea of Open Source.  We all work on what we want to work on.  I
realize that you and Jeff care about a specific range of platforms, but
that is not what I care about.  I am always careful to keep things
compiling on a range of platforms, but the truth is that some platforms
don't work as expected.  I fully intend to continue to continue to _try_
not to break the build, but mandating that everybody needs to build on
multiple platforms is unfair.  Should I never commit just because I can't
compile on Windows?  How about AIX?  Old versions of FreeBSD?  When do we
draw the line?

People need to be aware that different platforms behave differently, but
we can't force people to try to compile on different platforms, it doesn't
work.  Take a look at what has broken the builds recently.

APR_HEADER_CHECK:  How many times did we fix this on one platform, only to
break it on another?

ap_mpm_query:  I broke the build on BeOS.  I should have been more
careful, but I could have just not made the change on BeOS.  I believe
David is happier that I tried and failed, than if I hadn't tried.

addition of protocol.c:  I broke the Windows build, and in doing so,
learned how to add a new file to Windows, so that when I added core.c, I
didn't break the build.

People are trying their best, and if the build breaks, then it is a
mistake, and it should be taken as such.  If the build is broken on your
system, can I suggest posting a quick message to new-htpd about it?
Usually, the person who made the change will respond quickly and tell you
basically what needs to be done to fix the build.  For example, if the
build was broken after I added core.c, and you had posted about that, I
could have told you exactly what I had done.  I try very hard to note in
the commit log when I think I may have broken the build.  Because I can't
test on every platform, I am trying to alert people to a possible problem

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131