httpd-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server core.c Makefile.in connection.c
Date Sun, 04 Mar 2001 19:24:20 GMT
On Sun, 4 Mar 2001, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> >
> > Who said I was delaying a beta?
>
> I do.

I take a great deal of offense to this.  Nobody in the group has
worked as hard on this project as I have over the last two years.  That
isn't a value judegment, it is a matter of fact.  I find it very
distasteful that you would decide that the things I care about currently
are not important to the project.  That is not to say they are more
important than what anybody else cares about, but they are no less
important.

> > I have no desire to tackle those problems, so I am working on
> > what I do care about.  I am working quite hard to ensure that
> > I don't break the build, although since I am creating new files,
> > the windows build is undoubtable broken  (I tried to keep it
> > working, but I have no place to test it).
>
> You mean that out of all of the multitudinous areas you care
> about, there is not even *one* that does not require such massive
> changes and high probability of breaking the build?  That you
> could work on without disrupting other people's efforts?

Please do not tell me how much/and what I care about.  I believe you would
be very surprised about what interests me these days when it comes to
this code.  The last I checked, Roy was completely revamping the build
system.  I moved a bit of code from one location to another.  I didn't
modify ANY code at all, I just moved it.  I do not believe that I have
disrupted other people's work, although I am close to making it possible
for people who want to work on protocol modules to be able to do so
without needing to have the http module.

> You just delivered up a quarter-megabyte of diffs.  That is
> a lot to digest, and you admit yourself that it broke the
> build on other platforms, including but possibly not limited to
> Windows.  Which means other people have to stop working on
> what *they* care about, possibly some of those beta-delaying
> issues you mentioned, in order to clean up after *you*.

The cleanup is adding *1* file to the build.  That's it.  If that takes
longer than a few minutes, then there is something wrong.  If somebody who
understands the build system on Windows will post step-by-step
instructions for adding files to Windows, then I will ensure that Windows
will continue to build.  If this broke other platforms, then it is because
they too use a build system that I can't test, I am not currently aware of
any other system like this.  BTW, I just saw Will's post that says I
didn't even break Windows.

> That is either inconsiderate, thoughtless, or selfish.  Or is
> there another explanation?

Yes, there is another explanation.  I believe that this is important work,
and it is what I care most about.  I posted a few weeks ago that I would
be doing this, and nobody stood up to object.  Greg even said it was
important work, and that he had tried to do it.

I do not consider it inconsiderate, thoughtless, or selfish to clean-up a
bunch of code so that more people can work on it.  Explain to me how it
makes sense to put the DocumentRoot directive in the HTTP module.  I
believe that what I am doing is good for the code, feel free to veto the
changes, feel free to back them out.  But do not question my motives.  I
have worked too hard too help this project succeed to allow my motiives
to be questioned.

Ryan
406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131