httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: Piplined requests in HTTP/1.1
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2001 22:10:18 GMT
On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> Are pipelined requests really used?   The requirement that responses be sent
> back in the order the request was received -really- sucks wind.

pipelined requests aren't used by the majority of client (ie. IE), at
least last I checked.

But I'm not sure I understand your complaint about the ordering of

Sure, you could make your server more complex if it could build in a
scheduler that could re-order responses.  Then you go one step further and
say "hey, we need to add multiplexing support over a single TCP
connection".  Then you fall into the black hole that swallowed HTTP-NG
(oh, add some random object model voodoo there too) and are never heard
from again.

It is a fairly simple addition (from the server's perspective) that can,
in some situations and if the client so chooses, give a big benefit.