httpd-dev mailing list archives

From TOKI...@aol.com
Subject Re: Dual CPU usage with Win2000?
Date Sat, 10 Mar 2001 11:26:02 GMT

In a message dated 01-03-10 09:41:29 EST, Bill Stoddard writes...

>  a message dated 01-03-09 13:48:46 EST, Bill wrote...
>  >
>  > > No, not untested.  We do this all the time with IBM HTTP Server (which
>  is
>  > >  a -very- close derivitave of Apache)
>  > >
>  > >  Bill
>  >
>  > Kevin Kiley responded...
>  >
>  > Is the special IBM rewrite of BUFF.H and BUFF.C what makes
>  > it work? I've always wondered why the I/O rewrite in IBMHTTPD.
>  >
>  > Does your 'not untested' response mean you have seen dual-processor
>  > success with standard Apache without the BUFF rewrites... or
>  > you have only seen it work with IBMHTTPD?
>
>  Bill Stoddard answered...
>
>  There is no BUFF rewrite (unless you count a single field added to BUFF a
>  rewrite).  And what does this have to do with supporting multiple CPUs?
>
>  Bill

Yes... I count anything that is 'different' about 2 versions of a
source code file a 'rewrite'. I didn't say it was a big one but it
looks like a crucial one. I/O handles have changed from FIO
handles to void pointers.

Besides... there seems to be more than just 'a single field'
'rewritten' in IBMHTTPD BUFF.H and BUFF.C.

I was talking about the HAVE_APFD stuff ( A Pointer to
a File Descriptor *PAPFD ) and the API's that seem to go with it
to handle 'buffered' IO such as...

API_EXPORT(void) ap_bpushafd(BUFF *fb, PAPFD afd_in, PAPFD afd_out);
API_EXPORT(void) ap_bpushh(BUFF *fb, HANDLE hFH);

Plus... you didn't really answer the essential question I asked...

>  > Does your 'not untested' response mean you have seen dual-processor
>  > success with standard Apache without the BUFF rewrites... or
>  > you have only seen it work with IBMHTTPD?

All I wanted to know is if your 'observations' about Apache working
with dual processors are JUST for IBMHTTPD or have you seen
standard Apache work 'out of the box'?

If only IBMHTTPD seems to work with multiple CPU's only then does
the first question matter... Does it have anything to do with the
changes made to BUFF.H and BUFF.C in IBMHTTPD?

Just curious.

Yours...
Kevin Kiley