httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Bug (?) in 1.3
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2001 11:42:37 GMT
Just some notes on what I have found so far..

Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

>  GET foo blah
>
> but does NOT work for the following; it sends the canned response
> instead:
>
>  GET /index.html HTTP/1.0
>  bogus header line

It turns out that this discrepancy is due to the different
times of error-detection.  The latter problem is detected
during header reading, and a condition is raised immediately
because it is a syntax error.  The former is not detected
until after a lot more processing has been done because it
is a semantic error.  Apache does not notice it until  we are
heading into the actual request phase processing.

The nitty difference is that the former are signalled by
ap_die(), and the latter by ap_send_error_response() (which
is called by ap_die()). ErrorDocument redirects are
handled by ap_die(), and so do not work for the latter.

Fixing this does not look particularly simple.  My gut feeling
is that the ErrorDocument redirection stuff belongs in
ap_send_error_response(), not ap_die().  That is something
big enough for 2.0 though, not 1.3.  To fix this in 1.3
would probably involve getting things to the point that ap_die()
can be called during header parsing.
--
#ken    P-)}

ApacheCon 2001!
Four tracks with over 70+ sessions. Free admission to exhibits
and special events - keynote presentations by John 'maddog' Hall
and David Brin. Special thanks to our Platinum Sponsors IBM and
Covalent, Gold Sponsor Thawte, and Silver Sponsor Compaq.  Attend
the only Apache event designed and fully supported by the members of
the ASF. See more information and register at <http://ApacheCon.Com/>!