httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@remulak.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 Makefile.in
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2001 16:44:59 GMT
rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> >   Modified:    .        Makefile.in
> >   Log:
> >   turn on setuid permissions when installing suexec
>
> I really dislike setting setuid from a Makefile.  I would much rather make
> the admin set these permissions themselves.
>
> Just my opinion.

I heard (but didn't verify) that make install did this in 1.3.

(Mom: "If your friend Bobby jumped off a cliff, would you?"  yeah, I
know, Mom, that doesn't make it right.)

One could also argue that the admin already told us she wanted suexec
when she ran configure.  Once we know that, do we need to make her life
harder than necessary?

I'm not really hung up on this change.  I'll back it out if the
consensus is that it's bad.

Greg