httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server core.c Makefile.in connection.c
Date Sun, 04 Mar 2001 20:21:35 GMT
rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Mar 2001, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>
> > rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > >
> > > Who said I was delaying a beta?
> >
> > I do.
>
> I take a great deal of offense to this.  Nobody in the group has
> worked as hard on this project as I have over the last two years.

I doubt that anyone would dispute that.

> I find it very distasteful that you would decide that the
> things I care about currently are not important to the project.

No-one said that; certainly not I.  I suggested that the timing
could have been better.

> > You mean that out of all of the multitudinous areas you care
> > about, there is not even *one* that does not require such massive
> > changes and high probability of breaking the build?  That you
> > could work on without disrupting other people's efforts?
>
> Please do not tell me how much/and what I care about.

Huh?  *You* said it, not I.

> I moved a bit of code from one location to another.  I didn't
> modify ANY code at all, I just moved it.  I do not believe that
> I have disrupted other people's work

Um, David has already had to fix something, has he not?  You
admit that the Windows build would almost certainly be broken
by your change.  That it was not is excellent.  But any platforms
for which the build is broken will require someone to turn
away from whatever else it may be working on in order to
fix it.

> although I am close to making it possible for people who want
> to work on protocol modules to be able to do so without needing
> to have the http module.

As I said in the beginning, I question whether that should be
a goal for the first beta.

Even if it did not break the build, a change of this magnitude
should be reviewed.  Which takes time.  Which delays the beta.
I think it should have waited until we had beta 1 out.  That is all.
--
#ken    P-)}

ApacheCon 2001!
Four tracks with over 70+ sessions. Free admission to exhibits
and special events - keynote presentations by John 'maddog' Hall
and David Brin. Special thanks to our Platinum Sponsors IBM and
Covalent, Gold Sponsor Thawte, and Silver Sponsor Compaq.  Attend
only Apache event designed and fully supported by the members of
the ASF. See more information and register at <http://ApacheCon.Com/>!