httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: Piplined requests in HTTP/1.1
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2001 22:11:54 GMT
On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 04:29:52PM -0500, Bill Stoddard wrote:
> Are pipelined requests really used?

Only in W3C libwww and benchmarks, though I wouldn't be surprised if
the latest version of MSIE's request dll uses them -- Henrik has been
at Microsoft long enough, though I don't know if he has been doing
anything in the MSIE universe.

> The requirement that responses be sent
> back in the order the request was received -really- sucks wind.

Ummm, that would be the ordering constraint of HTTP not having
request identifiers -- unrelated to pipelining, which is that the next
request can be sent before the response to a prior request is received.

....Roy