httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brian Havard" <bri...@kheldar.apana.org.au>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/network_io/os2 sendrecv.c
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2001 16:39:54 GMT
On Wed, 7 Mar 2001 06:53:02 -0800 (PST), rbb@covalent.net wrote:

>On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Paul J. Reder wrote:
>
>> Cliff Woolley wrote:
>> > I'm not positive, but I *might* have seen this happening as well on my
>> > Linux box.  I was testing with some 128kb server-parsed files to try to
>> > reproduce the original problem, and I couldn't for the life of me get it
>> > to use chunked TE.  It always came back with a content-length.  To even
>> > try it with chunking on, I had to hack the server to ignore the
>> > content-length even if it had one.
>>
>> Currently mod_include deliberately unsets the content-length as soon as it has
>> identified an SSI tag to process. Is a filter supposed to set a chunked flag
>> to encourage possible chunked processing?
>>
>> In any event, the content-length should be unset if an SSI tag is found so
>> no server hacking should be required for SSI responses.
>
>Mod_include is working correctly, as is the content-length filter, in all
>of my tests.  The only time I don't get chunked responses for the
>content-length, is if I don't put "Transfer-Encoding: chunked" in the
>request headers.

That sounds wrong to me. The request shouldn't have to specify
"Transfer-Encoding: chunked" on a 1.1 request. The fact that the HTTP
version is 1.1 implies that the client can handle chunking: "All HTTP/1.1
applications MUST be able to receive and decode the "chunked" transfer
coding"

Although I'm no protocol expert, my reading of rfc2068 leads me to believe
that such a request header would be used to indicate that the request body
is chunked, not that it can accept/wants a chunked response.

The test client I'm using does not send a Transfer-Encoding header and
Apache 1.3 quite happily sends it a chunked body.