httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server core.c Makefile.in connection.c
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2001 07:52:56 GMT
> It's in so leave it in. But I think Ken does bring up a valid point.  Jeff
> and I spend a good bit of our development time fixing compile breaks, many
> which are introduced by 'cosmetic' changes to the code or build environment.
> In general, folks have been MUCH less disciplined about what they commit to
> Apache 2.0 than what they commit to 1.3.  It's time for that to change. I
> would request that you (all of us) try to compile our commits against
> multiple OSes as a courtesy to the other active developers.

Apache 2.0 has made some fundamental changes to some of the hairiest
parts of the server -- it took us ages to get buff.c stable.  I think
the answer you are looking for is in two parts:

  1) we need a documented checklist of things a developer needs to do
     whenever they add or remove a function or file such that the build
     will continue to work on all platforms.

  2) we need a tinderbox that will work on BeOS, Windows 2000, FreeBSD,
     and Linux

I refuse to believe that the solution to these problems is to make
changes slower.  When was the last time you applied some other core
developer's patch to be sure it ported to all platforms?  Personally,
I'd rather they applied the patch and then deal with the consequences,
provided that the consequences were solely due to porting issues and
not because the developer didn't test it on their own platform first.

....Roy