httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: Is it possible to send a CVS update mail
Date Sat, 03 Mar 2001 07:14:31 GMT
> Actually, why don't we simplify this a bit more.  I have been meaning to
> finish the httpd_rolling script for a while, but I haven't had time.  It
> should be easy to add a few steps to the beginning, something like:
>
> cvs co httpd-2.0
> cd httpd-2.0
> ( cd srclib;cvs co apr apr-util )
> ( update_release.sh )
> cvs tag $TAG
> echo "Tree tagged with $TAG" | sendmail -s "httpd-2.0 tagged" \
>       new-httpd@apache.org

No, absolutely not, -1.  The RM is supposed to be working on a checked-out
tree and testing it thoroughly *before* they tag that very same tree.
You have to keep in mind that generating a broken tarball costs anyone
who tests that broken tarball a great deal of time.  The RM needs to be
careful when they generate a tarball, even when we generate one on a
regular basis, because otherwise no one will bother to test them.

We can use the CVSROOT/taginfo file to call a program like log_accum.pl
that generates a message when a tag is applied.  Sorry, I don't
have any examples since I've never done it before myself.

....Roy